The Dreamer (The Dreamland Series, #1) by E.J. Mellow

Tuesday 28 April 2015



The Dreamer by E.J. Mellow
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



 


When the cover and synopsis of The Dreamer where announced on my blog, I was brimming with excitement at the prospect of reading it. I couldn't wait to have it in my hands (release date is May 15th, you can buy it here)! This book has probably counted toward my most anticipated reads this year and it has fully lived up to my
 expectations!




The Dreamer is a New Adult story with a contemporary fantasy/paranormal twist. It really is a mixture of all my favorite genres and as such, it brings their best aspects to light. It's written in first person, modern day time.

Our main character is Molly, a 24 year old going about her life as any of us would. She has a best friend (Becca), a hunk of a boyfriend (Jared) and a pleasant enough job. And then she gets struck by lightning, triggering her to suddenly have some very life like dreams in a crazy new world.





~ Now, I like to think that I'm of reasonable intelligence, but ordinary differential equations and myself...we don't really hang in the same comprehension circles. So, try as I might to follow my teacher's logic in how he got 3f"(x) + 5xf(x) to equal eleven, I never quite understood. His answer in no way, shape, or form resembled mine, and this misalignment -this complete confusion of how point A got to point B- is kind of where I'm at right now. "Dreaming?" I repeat dubiously.




She falls in the hands of Dev who is agonizingly intriguing and try as she may to get some answers out of him, she is hard pressed to make any sense out of it all. When emotion gets torn and reality starts to blur, Molly is once and for all ready to get the answers she needs, consequences be damned.

~ And then there are the dreams that feel as authentic as reality itself, that seem to exist just as your own life does. Where the emotions you experience there carry over to when you're awake. They are so real, so genuine, that you begin to question your own sanity. And you know that when the day comes that you finally stop dreaming them, you will never stop remembering."



Molly is a great character. She is not whiny, she is not super kick ass, she is simply down to earth. Becca, is an actual best friend too. Not one that so often gets added as filler or to make the main heroine look better. And Dev.. Ohh man, he can invade my dream space any night, just sayin...



Jared to me is an interesting persona too. I still have the feeling there is more to him then this book has let on. Something I can not quite put my finger on as yet.

As you can probably tell from the quotes I have picked from this book, E.J. Mellow's writing is incredibly powerful and relatable. It is genuine and pulls you right into the world that she has created. It's also very witty without having to obsessively rely on pop culture references or the like.

Throughout the book I could feel myself looking forward to the dream scenes. Anyone remember riding a bike and heading toward a massive downward hill..? That's the feeling im talking about, the excitement mixed with anticipation of whats to come. What will Molly find out and do next, what will happen between her conflicting love interests and how in the world is she going to juggle those two together?

~ I sit on it's edge, looking down at the man who feels like he just materialized out of nowhere. My head still swims with euphoria from the moment...a moment I was just in with one man whilst sleeping next to another. Suddenly feeling dirty, I pull the sheets wrapped in front of my body closer.



I have not read many books that encompasses dreams, and the ones I have read - Timeless & Wake, are the ones I can recall- simply cannot be compared to this.

The Dreamer ends right in the thick of it. I was prepared for this since I saw the % on my reader creep up to 100 whilst we where still no where near a satisfying conclusion, but important questions are answered and the stage is set for a great second installment to be released this year.

Would I recommend it?
Heck yes, in fact go and pre-order it now! I will be adding this to my 2015 faves for sure..Anyone with a B-day soon, the surprise is now officially ruined ;)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Made With Love By The Dutch Lady Designs